- me: *uses Hebrew year in my historical paper*
- me: *doesn't include clarification that this is not a story about Syria set 2100 years in the future*
like Julian was an Angry Atheist before that was even a thing. Everything about him cracks me up.
ALSO my reference texts keep pointing to Emperor Julian (who was a HOOT I tell you what) and his attempt to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem and basically the sentiment was “that didn’t work out, so clearly it was DIVINE FIRE and we should never help the Jews again”
but like… he was gonna rebuilt when he got back from battle, but then he died… so…
doing research for my paper and here’s what I have so far:
- back in the day, Jews, Greeks, and natives basically all comingled in Syria. yay equality
- Christianity grew out of the Gentile groups in the area
- lots of these Christians and other Gentiles were still drawn to Judaism and would take part in holidays, go to synagogue, and come to Rabbim for healing (they were seen as magic physicians?), these people were Judaizers/Judaizing Christians
- also Christianity used this link between it and Judaism to adopt Jewish practices/texts to flesh itself out against heretics like gnostics
- Eventually (i.e., after Constantine made Christianity the official religion of the Empire) Christian leaders were p mad about all the Judaizing, insisting that Christianity needed to better define itself as, you know, not Jewish
- People like Bishop Ambrose and John Chrysostom published polemics against the Jews that basically said, “y’all need to cut it out, seriously guys”
- some weird rumor about Constantine’s mother finding the True Cross is symbolic as the “first victory” against the wicked Jews
- hostilities escalate, violence erupts, synagogues are destroyed and whatnot
- one example (the focus of my paper): a synagogue in Callinicum (Kallinokos, modern day Ar-Raqqah in Syria) is destroyed by a band of monks egged on by their bishop. Emperor Theodosius I orders the monks to rebuild at their own expense as punishment
- Bishop Ambrose of Milan writes Theo this long-ass letter saying how he needs to put religion over political duty and threatening to not allow the emperor to take part in Church and reminding him of all the ways that Christians needed to exert dominance or w/e, so Theo takes back the punishment, setting the precedent that destroying synagogues is a-OK
- by the end of the century (this was in 388), violence and destruction against Jews is widespread, despite laws prohibiting such behavior.
lame as hell tbh
There was a split second there where his like, “wait, what? bro what are you doing?”
On more serious note, PTSD dogs for veterans are so fucking therapeutic. They’re like the one person you can spill your guts to and never worry about ever being judged or have that secret divulged. There are times when I definitely prefer the company of a dog over a human.
Therapy animals save lives.
These dogs are even still so much more amazing. They check rooms before their handler enters, so they can clear it to help the person feel safe. Like in the gif, they are there when panic attacks or nightmares occur, to be something for the person to help ground themselves on, or yes just to turn on the lights. Even more amazing, many people are able to reduce their medication when they have a PTSD service dog there to help them. These dogs are useful for not just veterans, but also victims of abuse, accident trauma, natural disasters, and others. Their training allows them to be useful in situations where medical assistance is needed, as well. Some PTSD dogs are trained to recognize repetitive behaviours in handlers, and signal the handler to break the repetition and stopping the behaviour and possibly injury.
Service dogs in general are just awesome. Remember to respect any that you see out in public. They are not there for you to walk up to and play with, even the puppies!